Wednesday, June 04, 2008

lessons learned "on the street"

in the past couple of weeks, I've had the chance to go out and get what we call..."streeter tape". Let me just say...this makes me appreciate Muchmusic VJs a lot more than I ever thought I would.

Getting streeter tape involves hauling my recording equipment (what looks like a massive tape recorder, headphones, and a mic), and very liberally soliciting people to talk with you. I have not yet constructed a "strategy" yet...but I tend to talk with people who are relaxed (approached a lot of bus people, smokers, and loiterers).
I always needed to be peppy...and playful...but secretly inside, I just hope they won't eat me alive. Or yell at me. Or both.

I have not gotten any eff you's yet...most people who refuse to comment usually do it politely. but boy...I've never had to be so outgoing in my WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE. And I don't even like people!

3 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

oh god that sounds completely painful. i feel for you ellie, i really do.

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"And I don't even like people" hahah that made me laugh out loud. being not much of an outgoing person myself, i can imagine how difficult (and terrifying) it must be to approach and interview random people on the streets. =P

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops sorry anonymous = viv

 

Post a Comment

<< Home