Monday, December 15, 2008

snow days

I can’t believe it’s been 16 years since the first time I ever saw snow. It was our first year in Montreal…and my parents were clearly afraid that my brother and I might somehow freeze to death if we left home. That year, good old 1992, Mom bought me the following:

- A neon pink snowsuit with white and purple stripes
- A neon pink Russian snow trooper hat
- A neon pink pair of snow boots
- A (thank goodness) dark purple pair of snow mittens

Yes, laugh. I know you’re picturing the 6 year old version of me in my garish winter gear. You can laugh…get it out of your system.

It took me at least 10 minutes to put all my gear on...and then I would be ready to conquer the outdoors. Snow angels, snowmen, forts…you name it, I’ve done it. On my own! I didn’t even need company to be happy…you throw me in a mountain of snow, and I’m happy. My favourite snow activity was sliding down mini-hills around our neighbourhood with a magic carpet. I don’t know if it’s an east coast thing…but nobody ever knows what I’m talking about when I bring it up here on the west coast. It enables you to just sliiiiiide down a hill with complete ease, often swishing out of control (this was the best part).

I still get that warm and fuzzy feeling when I see snow on the ground…and a hankering for some serious snowball-making/throwing. I’m crossing my fingers for some more magical dust over the Christmas season…

1 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, Blogger snerk said...

i'm not a big fan of snow, but i used to have a magic carpet :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home