v for vendetta review
I had been waiting to see this particular film for a long time…being a big fan of Natalie Portman’s and her film choices (except that flick she did with Ashley Judd…UGH). Set in the not-so-distant future (England, to be specific), the film uncovers the ramifications of a totalitarian society marred with deceit and “perfect” security. The setting isn’t a particularly unique one: we’ve seen it in Gattaca, in the terrible The Island, and finally released Children of Men…but Vendetta is unique in its central theme of revenge.
I don't like to ruin plotlines and such, so I will only discuss a few afterthoughts. The title character (the masked man named V), throughout the film, works to uproot the totalitarian government. His actions are intended to arouse in England's people a sense of unity, revive democracy, and wake them from a fear that's haunted them since a "Black Plague" type of epidemic. although those are far from his only intentions, they are an integral part of the film: the idea of choice, integrity, true freedom.
I love this quote:
"Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all that we have. It is the very last inch of us. And within that inch, we are free."
It propelled me to think about how...if we choose to live our lives in a manner that doesn't betray our values and beliefs, we can be liberated from the world's hold. if we choose the difficult path, even in the face of death...we can indeed be free. that's pretty powerful.
anyways...I digress. good movie - watch it...and then we can talk about it.

1 Comments:
The comic was good too. Not better, IMO, but as good.
Post a Comment
<< Home