feels like home(s)
a happy belated mid-autumn moon festival to all of you!
The best part about Chinese celebrations, like new year and the moon fest, has always been about family. Unfortunately, we don't have family living here, but we nonethelesss always have a big family dinner. Both the wormball and I were quite sad this weekend that chocolate ball and strawberry ball are now on the east coast. I miss those cooking non-stop days where I get completely lost into the fray of food-making. I don't even want to eat it after, but I get a kick out of seeing my family chowing down.
This year, with all the absentees, my dad wanted to do late-night hotpot with us girls. since wormball and I had fellowship on saturday, we had it AFTER fellowship. Despite it being a bit quieter than usual, it was still a lovely meal. My dad even told us stories about how popular he was as a high school teacher. We choose not to believe him.
Last night, we also called my Aunt Kam :) This recent HK trip really made me want to visit my birthplace more often. Family bonds are a strange thing - you may have barely anything in common, but somehow, you feel a certain sense of comfort and connection...and an obligation to try and talk. What I miss most about HK is how comfortable my dad was in that environment - how at home he was being in the company of his old friends and our relatives. Extended family is such a blessing. (I also miss the spoilage.)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home