Wednesday, December 12, 2007

blahblahblah

I know this may come as complete disinterest to most, but my daily transit trip consists of taking the 491 and then the 99 B-Line to my workplace. This is a fairly straightforward process, and terribly mundane to say the least.

Last night, on my way back home, I realized that I had completely forgotten my wallet at work. At this point, I was at Granville and Broadway, and just gotten off the 99 B-Line. I quickly hopped back on the 99 (on the other side) and started muttering things under my breath subsequently…my stupidity had gotten the best of me once again.

The repetitive task of going back and forth on the same bus was a bit too much for my head to bear – it was the act of sheer repetition that drove me crazy. However, I then began to think about how silly a thing this was to get angry with. After all, nothing had been stolen and no harm was done to me…I simply had to use a little more patience than usual.

This “trip” along Broadway prompted me to think how easy it is to complain. I often characterize our culture as one of complacency…but it is equally a culture of complaint. We say much but mean little – we can go on and on about how dysfunctional something is, only to realize later that our concerns are purely self-centred. We’ve become so accustomed to saying how everything is crap that we spend much less time reflecting on how we can change our attitudes while facing different challenges…

All in all, I’m learning to not have to bite my tongue due to my own foolish use of words…

1 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Blogger Tree said...

"...we can go on and on about how dysfunctional something is, only to realize later that our concerns are purely self-centred." I found this statement very difficult for many to follow, namely the "only to realize later" part. The issue is whether or not some people realize how petty and self-centred some of their complaints are; I find that this society in which we live are consumed with It's All About ME mentality. We aimed for individuality, but we got egoism. But, Vespertine, you're right; we find it easier to complain, but not as easy to be grateful and give praise for the blessings we do have. Thanks for the reminder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home