Thursday, December 06, 2007

waitress - a review

Over the weekend (holy cow…it’s Thursday already), I had the pleasure of watching Waitress…a film that I’ve been wanting to see since April. I went in with a fair bit of expectation: hoping to be touched, moved, and to laugh. I was under the impression that it would be a love story, but in the end, it really wasn’t…which I was glad for. It is absolutely one of the quirkiest films I’ve seen in a while, but beyond some “over-the-topness”, I was genuinely moved. Keri Russell is so stunning and I think she’s just brilliant in this – you just felt for her…who would want a child with a husband who would win in a world competition of ass-holery? She conveys her feelings of being trapped so well – what do you do when you have no means to escape your reality?

One of my favourite quotes from the movie, as Jenna writes in her journal to her unborn child:

Dear Baby,
I hope someday, somebody wants to hold you for 20 minutes straight and that’s all they do. They don’t pull away. They don’t look at your face. They don’t try to kiss you. All they do is wrap you up in their arms and hold on tight without an ounce of selfishness to it.

More thoughts to come….but go rent the movie!

1 Comments:

At 7:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i saw it at the video store
but i opted for la vie en rose instead

 

Post a Comment

<< Home