24 (spoiler-free)
the sixth season of 24 has just begun, and I have to say, I'm impressed.
I'm such a nazi about it in my house...if you're gonna be loud watching 24, you have to get out of the room! The show demands some very strict behavioral rules=)
Apart from the usual tension watching it: gripping a pillow in hand and gasping loudly, these first four episodes have been particularly interesting because of how politically charged they are. In past seasons, the show has been accused by the Muslim community of being discriminatory towards their religion (which, if you remember, resulted in those PSAs with kiefer talking about diversity and respect and), most notably in season 4. If that caused so much controversy, then things are bound to get finnicky this season...the allusions to guantanamo, immigration policies, and civil rights all make for some very unique TV fare. It's also, I think, the darkest season so far...not only due to Jack Bauer's recent past, but also because it really showcases how we have built up a culture of fear around terrorism. Under this reign of "perfect security", the ugliness of human nature rears its head...with devastating consequences.
Mmmm...if the episodes remain this good, it might just be the best season yet! (My current favourite is still "Season Tow"...although Season Five was quite excellent too)

1 Comments:
Ok that's it, we can't hang out together any more, I was just writing a blog about 24 when I gave up and went to your site instead. My gosh! Stop that!
Post a Comment
<< Home