Tuesday, July 01, 2008

paper scrap (6.23.2008)

my mind is in a million places these days. work has been a blessing but I find myself very easily getting wrapped up in it. the older I get, the more I realize that we live in a multiplicity of realities.

My world is comfortable - I have shelter, food, access to health services, and live under the protection of Charter rights. although I am Chinese and a woman, I generally do not face discrimination of any kind (at least not of the overt variety). I can practice my religion freely. however, this isn't the case for everyone.

I couldn't help but realize this on Sunday morning as I met Donald again on the street. as we chatted, I couldn't help but be consumed by how obvious my privilege was in contrast to his lack of it. here I was, working a job that I love, access to health benefits and education...so concerned with success and my own career path....and Donald had just endured a cold night on the corner of Hamilton and Robson because he couldn't afford the $22/night at the nearest hostel. the space between us is so large, I cannot even fathom it. and the fact is - I am afraid to get closer...it is so much easier to distance myself and refuse to accept that our world is imbued with injustice and inequality - and although in my privilege, I do not see this ugliness, it is a reality for many.

how do I go about puncturing the wall that I put up between us? i think it begins with an acknowledgment of the humanity and the God's presence in each os us. it requires the development of selflessness...seeing life and the world outside of me - my hurts, insecurities, desires. developing a desire to extend my hand into another world - to connect and feel for someone that the world has forgotten and deemed worthless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home