what is "too comfortable"?
So I have a few general surveying questions that just popped into my mind as I was lazily resting on my bed this morning...
I think we would generally agree that the way we behave at home is our most comfortable state - your family members are the closest folks you've got, who generally know your worst habits and still manage to kinda love you despite them. I suppose every home is different as well, in regards to how much people "expose" themselves. some folks have told me that they leave the bathroom door open, or change in front of their same-sex siblings, and of course...everyone farts. and I think...in the home, farting is generally considered acceptable behaviour (is it really "behaviour" if it's a biological function?haha!).
so...this leads me to ask...where do you draw the line?
a bonus question: in regards to farting, how comfortable are you doing it in a public setting? are there close friends that you feel you can fart "with"? and if so, is this a measure of how close your friendship is?

4 Comments:
Ummmm... I think all those things ou listed are TOO COMFORTABLE. Farting is unacceptable at any time, in my opinion, unless you are alone, and in the bathroom. Changing in front of a same-sex sibling - um - I don't have a sister, but I wouldn't do this either. And leaving the bathroom door is, um, well, I had a bad experience once with someone. I won't say who. Yuck!
My husband has no prob farting in front of me, but I make him say, "Excuse me" afterwards. For me to pass wind in front of my husband is mortifying and only slightly less embarrassing in front of my sister and mom. I've changed clothes in front of my sister and vice versa, but only if the person not changing looks away. I've only ever left the bathroom door open when I'm home alone.
Since we're being so candid.....I think motherhood changes a lot of things in this perspective.......initially thought that passing gas in public (even in front of hubby) was totally unacceptable. However, since pregnancy messes everything up in your body, including causing lotsa gassiness, Mark's been very gracious and has dealt with it (plus, I was getting tired of having to run into the bathroom numerous times in the day). As for the bathroom door, it's almost always open now. My kidlets want to tag along everywhere..... there's really no privacy or discretion in our household anymore. The tough part is remembering that we can't be THAT "comfortable" when we have friends or other family members over or they would have quite the surprise!!?
yeah, i must agree with snerk, all those things are WAY too comfortable. NO farting, period. No ifs, ands, or buts (excuse the pun). even if i'm alone at home, i lock my bathroom door. Both my mom and my sister change in front of me, and i just don't want to see that.
i can see how having a family of your own changes that though, especially with young children.
Post a Comment
<< Home