the little things
I maneuvered myself over (it was SO COLD!) to Pender and Richards for delicious Korean tofu hotpot yesterday. It was about 2:30 when I arrived to Sandwich Garden, a little hole in the wall spot squeezed between other holes in the wall serving Donair, sushi, or Pizza.
When I entered, I saw a middle-aged Korean couple sitting on the counter. They were clearly the owners (the lady had an apron on), and I had clearly interrupted their lunch of what looked like beef bulgogi. The lady quickly stood up to take my order, and I literally heard her cook my hotpot from the tiny little kitchen at the far end of the "restaurant". :) It was sizzling when it arrived, adorned with three small plates of banchan (pickled daikon, kimchi, and sweet potatoes) and a bowl of rice.
After she served me, the couple went back to their lunch and chatted away in Korean...even though I had no idea what they were saying, it was still overwhelmingly cute. It just reminded me of why it's almost always more rewarding to eat at a moms and pops kind of joint.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home